Baker is a historic neighborhood located adjacent to the South Platte River. An area of approximately 30 blocks in the Northeast corner of Baker was granted historic district designation in 2000 as part of the Historic Preservation effort of the City of Denver.
The first subdivision in Baker was platted along Santa Fe Drive south of W. 6th Avenue in 1872, and residential development took off in the 1880’s
The neighborhood includes hundreds of 19th century brick houses and 39 buildings by locally famous architect William Lang. In the 1970s, Denver named the neighborhood after Baker Junior High School (now Denver Center for International Studies) which had been named for turn of the century University of Colorado President, James Hutchins Baker, who lived in the neighborhood.
Baker offers a mix of industrial, residential and commercial properties along Interstate 25, while the area along Broadway consists mostly of commercial retail and offices. The former Gates Rubber factory includes several big box stores and is the site of a major redevelopment project that is bringing a new look and vitality to the neighborhood. In addition, Daily Park is the second largest in the neighborhood, and Baker is served by several bus lines and two light rail boarding stations.